I’m not one to splurge on cosmetic products that last me for about as long as they stay on my face through a night of dancing, sweating and sleeping. So my go-to place for war paint and the like is just around the corner at my local Rite Aid. You need look no further than the drugstore for some of the most basic cosmetic necessities.
1. Eyeshadow. Who doesn’t love a smokey eye now adays? I picked up the Maybelline New York Expert Wear Stylish Eyeshadow, in Natural Smokes 2. It’s the perfect little compact to keep in your bag when you go out to touch up your eyes. ($5.99)
2. Mascara. Being of Asian descent, my eyelashes–or lack thereof–are always in need of definition. I am constantly trying to find a good mascara that can highlight their presence and also exaggerate as well. Hallelujah! I found Cover Girl Lash Blast Volume Blasting Mascara, in Very Black. ($8.99)
3. Eyeliner. Eyeliner usually doesn’t last very long with me. My experience with eyeliner is usually like an ACME disappearing-reappearing ink trick. I put it on at 8:00 PM and by 10:00 PM it’s gone, but I wake up in the morning and it’s back again–just smeared all over my face. CoverGirl Liquilineblast Eyeliner Pencil in Silver Spark, is my weapon of choice. It goes on smooth and lasts all night. ($8.99)
4. Lipstain. I’m not one for sticky, high-glossed lips. A little shine is nice, but too much, you’ll start to look like you’ve done some skeptical things in the last few minutes. I’m more a fan of a matte colored lip. I kept seeing commercials for lip stain and had a few run-ins with some questionable products that made me look like Bozo the Clown. Revlon Just Bitten Lipstain + Balm, in Desire 070, is the perfect combination for someone like me who likes a little color and moisturizer on your pout. You can apply the lipstain then turn it around and apply the balm which helps to keep your lips from getting chapped in the cold winter months. ($8.99)
5. Facial Wash Cloths. Of course, it’s important to take off your makeup before going to bed. It not only will prevent you from waking up the next morning and walking into the bathroom, only to realize your “sexy cat-eye” makeup from the night before has turned into tribal looking markings across your face, but also help keep your pores clean! My biggest pet peeve of makeup removers is most feel disgustingly oily, exactly the opposite of how they should make you feel. Enter Olay 2-and-1 Daily Facial Cloths. These cloths are perfect for the job! They clean, they cleanse and they remove makeup! ($7.99)
6. Razors. I know this really isn’t a “Cosmetic” product, but I just can’t stop talking about these razors! I found these by accident one trip to another drugstore, whose name rhymes with SmallGreens. I’m not one for disposable razors because I feel like they’re a complete rip off. How dare you charge me an arm for the razor and then two legs for the blades? The price is almost as outrageous as Pistachios. But Venus Embrace Disposable Razors had me whistling a different tune. They leave no hair uncut and keep your legs, underarms and other regions silky smooth. And, the razors themselves, last longer than 3 uses like most disposable razors! ($13.29)
7. Dry Shampo. You’re running late for work because you overslept your alarm after staying up late to watch the most recent episode of Jersey Shore, or you’re just too darn lazy to get out of bed in fear of freezing your tukus off scraping the ice off your car with that ice scraper you never thought you’d have to use–thanks a lot Punxsutawney Phil! Uh oh, you dont have time to shower!? Grab a bottle of TRESemme Fresh Start Shampoo, it’s a waterless foam shampoo you can spray on the roots of your hair. You spritz your roots, let it sit for 1-2 minutes, them comb through. Now all you need to do is take a “Shore Shower” and no one will be the wiser. ($6.29)
8. Oil Absorbing Sheets. A necessary tool that all women should have in their makeup arsenal is a pack of oil absorbing sheets. I’ve been using these since before I even knew what makeup was. Clean & Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets can be found in any drugstore or grocery store. ($6.49)
9. Nail Polish. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVEEEEEEE this nail polish. I have always loved Essie nail polish whenever I went to get my nails did at the salon. So, now I’m over the moon that they are available at Rite Aid and *cough*SmallGreens*cough*. It is Essie Nail Color Turquoise & Caicos. But I’d have called it mint chocolate chip. ($8.00)
10. Lotion. I always need a lotion that can keep my legs moisturized for more than a few minutes. I need hours of moisture or else I’ll look like a dog with fleas. It can get so bad that I start to unknowingly scratch my legs creating minute cuts… which I won’t find until I try to shave my legs the next day and scream out in utter pain. I just found Banana Boat’s After Sun Lotion with Aloe this summer. It is so cooling and refreshing, even in the winter. ($6.99)
What are your favorite drugstore beauty buys?